Saturday, January 2, 2010

Let the reading begin!


I can't help but make resolutions with each new year, but, happily, I've come to my senses and given up making any that have to do with exercise. (I'm burning enough calories chasing these babies around.)

Every year I resolve to read more, but I know it will happen this year, as I'm Bread Loaf bound once again. I don't have my courses yet, but am still spending plenty of time pouring over last year's course catalog and dreaming of what I will be reading in the next few months.

I'm also taking this time to ramp up my personal reading and get in the habit again, now that Whitman is 6 months old and my brain is sufficiently recovered from - or simply used to - the lack of sleep. I recently finished Beloved (don't know how that one had eluded me for so many years) and last night polished off Unaccustomed Earth, Jhumpa Lahiri's second collection of stories. One was pure pleasure, the other was mostly work (I'll let you guess which was which), but both were, at times, breathtakingly beautiful.

I'll leave you with a picture of our newest addition, Whitman, the reason I missed Lit Nerd Camp last summer - we can only pray he'll love books as much as his big sister does!

3 comments:

George W. said...

Dear Lit Nerd...Be proud of your literary nerdiness. What would life be like without reading?

catawsumb said...

I like resolutions that are pro-something rather than con-something and as you know there is just about nothing I am more pro than reading. I hadn't gotten around to Beloved until recently either and yeah, it felt mostly like work.

Kristin (who should be reading) said...

But, Cat, weren't you glad when you got to the end? I mean, not just because the hard work was over, but because it all came together so beautifully?

Dad, I am all about my lit nerd status and have t-shirts and coffee mugs to prove it! :)

Thanks for reading, you two!